Canada visas

Canada Student visa Eligibility requirements

Because of the high reputation and flexibility of Canadian universities they grab the attention of many international students for higher education each year. For higher education purposes in Canada, you must have to achieve a good score from your home country (Good academics grades and minimum 6 in IELTS scores) and a proper intention to study, then you need a Canadian study offer letter from a Designated learning institutions. In order to get a visa, the candidate will have to apply for a visa of Temporary Residence from their Home Country. After arriving in Canada, Immigration will issue study permits to students.

For Canada, you will need a student visa, which, depending on your home country, will be either an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

1. Canadian Study Permit – this is not a visa, it’s a permit which allows you to study in Canada. If you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your course.

2. Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) – this is a recent requirement for visa-exempt, non-U.S. foreign nationals. Your eTA is valid for five years or until the passport you used to apply for the eTA expires (whichever is sooner), and can be used to travel to Canada many times.

3. Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) – for students who have been accepted into a designated learning institution and are unable to apply for the eTA.

It is important that you make sure you have the correct study permit for your international studies before you leave for Canada.

Ensure you have the right ‘Study Permit’ by getting information from the Canadian immigration authority known as the Immigration, Refugees and Citizen Canada (IRCC). We will help you access the latest information and connect you with authorized bodies.

To find out if you need an eTA or a visitor visa, and how to apply, visit the Government of Canada website.

Applying for study visa from Home Country:

To apply for the study visa, you will need:

You can study in Canada if you:

    • are enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
    • prove you have enough money to pay for your:
      • tuition fees
      • living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
      • return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
    • obey the law, have no criminal record and get a police certificate (if required)
    • are in good health and get a medical exam (if required)
    • prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires

To prove you can financially support yourself and any accompanying family members, you may be asked to provide:

  • Documentation of a bank account in your name or your sponsor.
  • Documentation of a student/education loan from a financial institution
  • Bank statements
  • A bank draft in convertible currency
  • Proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees
  • A letter for the person or institution providing your funding
  • Proof of funding paid from within Canada if you have a scholarship or are enrolled in a Canadian-funded educational program

Please Note: While filling the application form, you would have to show the proof of fees paid as well as the stipulated cost of living @ CAD 10,000. If you are applying for Quebec you require at least CAD 11,000 for every year of your stay. While filling the application form, you would have to show the proof of fees paid as well as the stipulated cost of living @ CAD 10,000. If you are applying for Quebec you require at least CAD 11,000 for every year of your stay.


Student Can get 3 years Post-graduation work permit (PGWP) after completing a course between 8 months to 3 years. Students must complete the course from a DLI in order to get the PGWP.

Eligibility for PGWP:

  • Completed a program of study that lasted at least eight months and led to a degree, diploma or certificate
  • Studied full-time each academic session (excludes scheduled breaks), with two exceptions:
    • You studied part-time in your final academic session only
    • You took an authorized gap in studies for less than 150 days

For more clarifications you can visit the Government of Canada website for more information about applying for your study permit, including eligibility, fees and processing times.

About Us

Global Consultancy & Lawyers Chamber is serving Legal and education industry since 2008. 

Our commendable work at sub offices located across the World has made possible to change the lives of thousands of students through assisting them for higher studies in foreign institutes.

Create your account