Visa requirements for Germany
Germany provides two types of visa:
- Schengen visa (for study up to three months)
- German National Visa (For study more than three months)
If you take a German National Visa and enter into Germany you’ll need to apply for residence visa to extend your eligibility in Germany. You must have to apply before expiring your entry visa.
German Study Visa Types
On the basis of your study course you may get the visa for the course of undergraduate, graduate, exchange or postgraduate and this may include the pre-academic measure or non-academic language course.
Based on study course Germany offers three types of visa:
- German Student Visa. This is the standard student visa for international students who have been admitted to a German university and are ready to start their studies at a full-time university program.
- German Student Applicant Visa. You need this visa if you need to be in Germany to apply for university admission in person. This visa doesn’t allow you to study in Germany, it’s only valid for the university application process.
- German Language Course Visa. You need this type of visa to study for a German language course in Germany.
German Student Visa This type of visa is given to the international students who have been permitted to study in the German universities for the full-time course.
German Student applicant visa: this type of visa is offered for the student who think of apply for admission in person. It’s only for the university application process, but doesn’t include study in Germany.
German Language Course Visa: this type of visa is given to the student who need to complete German language course in Germany.
Visa Application Documents.
- Filled out and signed national visa application form.
- Valid national passport.
- Two photocopies of passport.
- Certificate of birth.
- Marriage certificate. (If applicable).
- Child’s certificate of birth. (If applicable).
- Recent passport-style photographs. (Up to 3).
- Photocopies of previous German residence titles. (If applicable).
- Previous Schengen visa (If applicable).
- Previous German resident permit (If applicable).
- Proof that you can cover your living expenses.
- Admission to a university in Germany
10,236 EUROS FOR ONE YEAR
Before you begin your studies, you will have to prove that you have enough money to support yourself. The document you need is called a “Finanzierungsnachweis”, or proof of financial resources. You are asked for it when you apply for a visa. At the latest, you will need to present it when you apply for a residence permit in Germany. In most cases, applicants have to prove that they have around 8,800 euros (starting from 01.01.2020 10,236 euros) at their disposal for one year. The new amount has to be already presented for visa applications starting from 01.09.2019. For more and BINDING information, contact the German embassy or German consulate in your home country!
There are a number of ways to show that you can finance your studies. The following forms of proof are possible:
- Your parents can submit documents certifying their income and financial assets.
- Someone with permanent residence in Germany can guarantee the Alien Registration Office to cover your expenses.
- A security payment can be deposited into a blocked account.
- You can present a bank guarantee.
- You can present a scholarship award notification from a recognised scholarship provider.
Make sure to inquire at the German embassy in your country as to which form of financial proof is required!
APTITUDE TEST: ASSESSING YOUR CHANCES OF ACADEMIC SUCCESS MORE REALISTICALLY
With the Test for Foreign Students (TestAS), you can realistically assess your chances of completing your degree programme successfully. The TestAS is a standardised exam which allows universities to compare the scholastic aptitude of their prospective students. Each university recognises the test results differently. The test is comprised of three parts: the “onScreen” language test, the Core Test and “subject-specific test modules”.
HEALTH INSURANCE:VALID HEALTH INSURANCE IS REALLY IMPORTANT
If you’d like to study in Germany, you have to have health insurance. You will need to present proof of health insurance when you enrol at university and apply for a residence permit. Make sure to take care of your health insurance status before you come to Germany.
Check the site of the German Embassy or Consulate General in your country of residence for additional requirements in your country, www.diplo.de/addresses, and book an appointment.
- Complete and print out the visa application form using https://videx-national.diplo.de/videx/
- Bring your application form along with supporting documents with you to your appointment
- After approval from the Embassy or Consulate General, get your visa sticker in your passport
- Apply for your residence permit at your local foreigners office after arrival